The Davidson Farm, located in Gibson County, has been designated as a Tennessee Century Farm. The Century Farms Program recognizes the contributions of Tennessee residents who have owned and kept family land in continuous production for at least 100 years.
For $50, John Davidson purchased a half interest in about 20 acres in 1895 with a promissory note due in 1896 for the balance of $100. A cousin, John W. Davidson, acquired the farm a decade later, but a grandson, John A. Davidson, purchased the acreage later in 1906 and owned and worked it for nearly 50 years. The fourth owner was another grandson, Roy A. Davidson, who acquired the 20 acres in 1953.
Roy and his wife, Dollie Mae, were the parents of James and Dorothy. In addition to growing the familiar row crops of beans and corn, they raised cattle and operated a sawmill on the farm.
Reggie Davidson, the son of James and nephew of Dorothy, is the great, great grandson of John Davidson. He and his wife Barbara have owned the property since 1985. Corn, beans, and wheat continue to be the primary crops.