The Mabry Farm, located in Jackson County, has been designated as a Tennessee Century Farm. The Century Farms Program recognizes the contributions of Tennessee residents who have owned and kept family land in continuous production for at least 100 years.
Choosing a site on Blackburn’s Fork of the Roaring River, William Jefferson Maberry and his wife, EIizabeth Jessie Maberry, purchased about 350 acres in 1887 for the sum of $2,200. With their sons, Laurence and Leonard, they lived in an existing log home that still remains on the farm. Primary crops were tobacco, corn, hay, wheat, cattle, and horses.
Leonard Maberry acquired 150 acres of his parents’ farm in 1913. Married to Jemima Loftis, this generation owned and worked the farm for 65 years. When their six children were in school, “the school house burned.” When the teacher of their son, Walter, made a new roster, his name was shortened to Mabry. His brothers and sisters remained Maberry, but he was listed as Mabry which sometimes caused confusion. Walter and his branch of the family, however, continue to go by Mabry. In 1978, Walter and his sister, Dimple, the oldest of the six children, became the owners.
Walter’s son, Greg, and his wife, Jennifer Richardson, became the owner of 150 acres of the original farm in 2008. He is the great grandson of the founders. He and Jennifer are the parents of Wyatt and Luke. Greg, a member of the Jackson County Soil Conservation District, and son Wyatt work the farm which supports timber and row crops.