The Kilzer Farm and Pigeon Roost Road Farm, both owned by Larry Kilzer and located in Smith County, have been designated as Tennessee Century Farms. The Century Farms Program recognizes the contributions of Tennessee residents who have owned and kept family land in continuous production for at least 100 years.
The Kilzer Farm originated with Henry and Martha Woodson Kilzer who purchased 50 acres west of New Middleton from Meda and W. H. Lincoln in March of 1900. Henry and Martha were the parents of John E. and Gertrude Tennessee. The family raised tobacco, corn and dairy cattle. John E. Kilzer acquired this acreage in 1917. He and his wife, Daisy Allison, along with children Joseph Floyd and Chester Francis lived and worked on the farm raising tobacco, corn, and dairy cattle.
In 1947, Joseph Floyd Kilzer became the third generation owner. He and his wife, Mary Elizabeth Neal had four children -- James Edward, John Donald, Larry Wayne, and Lisa Marie. Larry Wayne Kilzer became the next member of the family to own the property in 1986. He farms this land along with Pigeon Roost Road Farm which also originated with his great grandparents.
In November of 1900, a second parcel was purchased by Henry Kilzer from W. B. and L. E. Phillips. Gertrude Tennessee Kilzer Floyd became the owner of this property in 1917, and she and her husband, Cleveland Floyd, continued to manage the farm in much the same way as her parents. Larry Kilzer became the owner of this property in 1993. Larry is married to Glenda Jai Bennett and he raises beef cattle on the combined Kilzer and Pigeon Roost Road Farms owned by members of his family for over a century.